The use of electronic cigarettes and vape pens has skyrocketed in popularity over the past decade. These devices are often hailed as a safer alternative to traditional tobacco products, but a disturbing trend is emerging: an increase in vape pen explosions leading to serious injuries.
This article focuses on understanding the risks associated with vape pen explosions and the steps you can take to protect your rights if you suffer a vape pen burn in North Carolina.
Understanding the Risks of Vape Pen Burns
What Causes a Vape Pen to Explode?
The main culprit behind vape pen explosions is the lithium-ion battery, which can overheat and catch fire or explode. Cylindrical lithium ion batteries are designed only to be used in battery packs with circuit protection. They are not designed to be used in vape devices. Nevertheless, many vape manufacturers continue to design and market devices that require the use of dangerous lithium ion batteries. These batteries can suffer internal or external short circuits that can cause them to violently explode.
The Severity of Vape Pen Burns
Vape pen burns can be extremely severe, leading to:
- First and Second-degree Burns: These can cause significant pain and may require medical treatment.
- Permanent Scarring or Disfigurement: The explosions are often forceful enough to cause lifelong physical alterations.
- Other Injuries: Beyond burns, the explosion can lead to injuries to the face, eyes, hands, or other parts of the body.
Protecting Your Rights After a Vape Pen Burn in North Carolina
If you or a loved one has suffered a vape pen burn, it’s essential to know your legal rights and the steps to take to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Seek Medical Attention
First and foremost, seek medical attention for your injuries. Documenting your injuries through medical records is vital in building a strong legal case.
If possible, keep the vape pen, battery, charger, and any other related items in a safe place. These can be crucial pieces of evidence in your case.
Schedule A Consultation With Paynter Law
Consulting with a North Carolina personal injury lawyer who specializes in vape pen burn cases can be instrumental in navigating the legal landscape. Our team will:
- Evaluate Your Case: We’ll assess the facts to determine if you have a viable claim.
- Investigate the Incident: This includes gathering evidence, speaking with witnesses, and working with experts to understand precisely what happened.
- Negotiate with Responsible Parties: If a manufacturer, retailer, or other party is found responsible, we will negotiate with them on your behalf.
- Represent You in Court: If a fair settlement can’t be reached, we will represent you in court to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Don’t Face a Vape Pen Burn Alone
The growing epidemic of vape pen explosions is a concerning reality for many users. Understanding the risks and knowing how to protect your rights is essential if you suffer a vape pen burn.
In North Carolina, personal injury laws can be complex, especially when it comes to product liability and injuries like vape pen burns. The team at Paynter Law has experience in vape pen and e-cigarette injuries and can help you get the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one has been injured from a vape pen or e-cigarette burn, reach out to us today to schedule your confidential, no-obligation consultation. Remember, we don’t get paid unless you get paid, so act quickly to ensure you receive the support and compensation you deserve for your injuries.